Friday, January 15, 2010

Setting Sail

Hi everyone!

Tomorrow begins my BIG ADVENTURE cruising around the world on a boat. I will be spending almost four months studying abroad and visiting some of the most amazing places in the world. The MV Explorer (the boat) has 650 college students from schools all over the US traveling on it, as well as 40 American professors teaching a multitude of subjects. I'll be studying subjects like Anthropology, Modern History, and Global Business. I will be attending class while sailing on the boat, but when we dock in the various cities we are free to explore. My adventures will include surf lessons in Hawaii, camping on the Great Wall of China, touring the Taj Mahal, a safari trip in South Africa, and a crazy rafting ride along the Amazon in Brazil.

I am hoping to update this blog with pictures and stories once a week, so check back often. Below you can find a schedule of where I will be over the next few months.
  • Jan. 17: Depart San Diego
  • Jan. 25-26: Hilo, HI
  • Jan. 27-28: Honolulu, HI
  • Feb. 9-11: Yokohama, Japan
  • Feb. 12-13: Kobe, Japan
  • Feb. 16-17: Shanghai, China
  • Feb. 17-21: Beijing, China
  • Feb. 21-23: Hong Kong, China
  • Feb. 26- Mar. 3: Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
  • Mar. 11-13: Chennai, India
  • Mar. 15-16: Cochin, India
  • Mar. 23-24: Port Louis, Mauritus (Africa)
  • Mar. 31-Apr. 4: Cape Town, South Africa
  • Apr. 11-14: Accra, Ghana
  • Apr. 21-25: Salvador, Brazil
  • May 5: Arrival back in US (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
I would love to hear from everyone while I'm away. You can email me at: nlhemstad@semesteratsea.net

You can track our voyages at: semesteratsea.org

I can't wait to begin this incredible trip. Hopefully the pirates don't find us!

See everyone back in the states May 5th!

Love,

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage! Will you be able to post pictures here? Eat some weird stuff for me. Also, if you take enough pictures and videos, I can show you to create a slideshow/video reel trip review that you might be able to send out to all of your semester at sea friends...or not. Have fun and I'll be following ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you, Nicole! You are going to have an experience of a lifetime. It is wonderful that we are going to be able to track you via your blog. Miss and love you! :)

    Marcy & The boys :)

    ReplyDelete